Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter in Paris

For Easter I was in Paris. My host family invited me over for Easter lunch and a chasse aux oeufs, an egg hunt, on Sunday. I thought about declining, because sometimes I just like to do nothing at all, but then I realized that was lame. I should see how they do Easter in France, DUH!

Well, traditionally in France you eat lamb for Easter. We didn't, however, because my host mother and her family are Croatian. In her family, it is tradition to do something more Eastern European. Our Easter lunch consisted of ham (cured, smoked, and eaten cold and juicy), a braided brioche-type bread (no braid, no good!), raw spring onions, and horseradish. We diluted the horsey with a bit of creme fraiche, to lighten it up a bit. As you consume your lunch, you're supposed to get all the goodies into each bite. It delicious, and kind of a perfect springy lunch! I loved the combination of the sweet bread with salty meat, with the bite of the condiments. Yum!

We also had hardboiled eggs that they had colored on Saturday. With these eggs, you don't just crack 'em and eat 'em. Oh no. We had egg battles. You choose your egg, and then you choose someone to battle at the table. Hold your egg, pointy top part out, and crack it against the other person. The person whose egg cracks is the LOSER. The winner gets to take the loser's cracked egg, and eats it. They save their winning egg to fight again. Basically, you've gotta win an egg to eat an egg. My egg was killing, but then I gave it to the kid because, well....that's my job.

We didn't end up going to the egg hunt because the kid spiked a fever (like turned purple and started shivering) during lunch, so we did a little baby egg hunt in the living room. For the record, 4-year-olds are bad at finding things.

After all the Easter excitement, I went over to my favorite pub and had chocolates with my friends. Then we had some drinks and danced a lot. All in all, a solid European Easter.

I hope the Easter bunny brought you something good. He doesn't really come to Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment