Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Observation

As I have had a debilitating stomachache all morning, I spent the vast majority either patiently awaiting death or on the internet. Death didn't come, thankfully, so instead I've been ruminating. Also reading a lot of blogs. Including some feminist blogs. (Yes, I am a feminist, dear male friends. Feminism is advocating for equal treatment of women in terms of social, political, and economic rights. EQUAL.)

Anyway, then I realized this:

In the French language, there are no words for a female that doesn't relate her to someone else.

Stick with me:

a boy: un garçon
a son: un fils
a man: un homme
a husband: un mari


NOW:


a girl: une fille
a daughter: une fille
a woman: une femme
a wife: une femme


Waiiiiiiit a second. How is that right? This is a little archaic, don't you think? In France, is a female person only either a daughter or a wife?


I'm not liking it.


P.S. Thank you, yes I really am feeling better! No, I have no idea what the hell is wrong with my stomach. If you want to hear all the details (ALL THE DETAILS), I've been recording them to show a doctor/hospital/priest if it ever goes that far.

2 comments:

  1. Don't take it personally. Now that you are in Paris, there is no doubt that things will begin to change, hopefully for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better, luv.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete