Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I Could Tell You...

I could tell you that I just ate a pain au chocolat for breakfast. I could tell you that it was flaky and buttery, and how even though it shattered with each bite, somehow no crumbs fell off, like magic.

I could tell you how much I am enjoying Nescafe for breakfast, and have developed a penchant for this instant coffee over the past year or two of hanging out abroad a lot.

I could tell you about the man who chatted me up in front of the Eiffel Tower yesterday, opening with "You come here often?" in French. I could tell you that he was actually very polite, but I'm not going to call him because well...that's sketchy.

I could tell you about yesterday, when a quick morning of registering for classes turned into a 4-hour goose chase of the wrong buildings, FNAC, and many many subway trains. I could also tell you that it was exhausting but exhilarating, as I navigated the city in French.

I could tell you that last night I had my first bout of homesickness here, when I awoke from a dream of home and wrote my mom a 2am email with a few tears scattered in. I could tell you that after the email was finished, I got right into bed and fell asleep, feeling kind of drunk, but trying not to feel sorry for myself.

I could tell you how it doesn't get cold at night, and there are always clouds in Paris. I could tell you that I can't conjugate French verbs anymore and the uneven sidewalks are hurting my feet. I could tell you that I wish I had brought full-size toiletries because things are really expensive here, and I desperately want a phone with GPS capabilities, but I think I can't afford one. I could tell you that I probably can't pay my full balance on my credit card next month because I had to pay for my French classes in advance and although I will make that money back pretty quickly, it makes me worried. I could tell you that it never gets old walking past the Eiffel Tower twice a day, and that's the honest truth.

I could tell you lots of things. But I'm pretty tired this morning. And today is my first day of French class. Time to go make friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment